Monday 6 February 2006

Super Bowl XL

Alright guys, I'm sure I've burned you all out on the Steelers talk yesterday and the countdown for the last two weeks, so this is the last bit I'll say on it. 

I'll be perfectly honest with everyone out there, if the Steelers weren't in this game, I might have caught myself flipping channels. It was just very anti-climatic and almost seemed like a regular season game. It was really a battle so see who would mess up the least, and Pittsburgh won that battle. 

I wouldn't say it swayed the game in our direction, but Seattle definitely has a right to be pissed about some referees decisions. The offensive pass interference in the end zone for Seattle was iffy. If I were the ref, I would have let that one go. Ben's touchdown, well there wasn't enough evidence to change the call. If the initial call was no touchdown, I would have agreed with the ref for upholding that call as well. And lastly and probably the worst call of the game was the illegal block or whatever was called on Matt Hasslebeck as he was trying to tackle the Steelers player after an INT.

With that said, I couldn't be happier the Steelers won the Super Bowl. I'm still kind of shock and really don't believe it. I always hoped, but never thought I'd see them win it all anytime soon. After the game was over, I kind of just sat there and smiled at the TV like a retard. And I couldn't fall asleep last night either. I kept thinking about the game. 

And lastly, just to defend ( and I only use that word because I can't think of another one) my position I held on the Steelers earlier this season, I'll point out a quote from one of myfavorite blogs concerning his favorite NCAA team, Illinois. After Illinois lost to Penn State, he had this to say about his team. "I'll still root for the team, but I have zero expectations anymore."

That quote pretty much summed up how I felt when the Steelers were losing and playing like crap a few months ago. They were always my favorite team, and I rooted for them every game, but I had zero expectations, and never thought in a million years they'd make the Super Bowl. I find it hard to believe anybody who said they did, but if you say you believed, good for you. Here's a cookie. I like to think I know enough about sports that I can root for my favorite team, but still be smart enough to admit when they play like crap and criticize them for it. Never in my life have I wanted to be the type of fan who loves their team and think they are great when they suck, and think every single call that goes against their team is wrong. You know who you are. 

Pittsburgh Steelers, you are the 2006 Super Bowl Champions, and you have surprised everyone. Congratulations. Take a month off and then get started working on next year, cause I want another.

No comments:

Post a Comment