Thursday 2 February 2006

6 more weeks of winter


Image hosting by Photobucket
"Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, but it was hard to find a complainer in the crowd on Gobbler's Knob, where the morning temperature was well above freezing and Thursday's high was expected to hit 48 degrees.

There were a few boos at the groundhog's prediction of six more weeks of winter, but most of the hundreds of revelers instead turned the event into an impromptu Pittsburgh Steelers rally.

Fans in football jerseys sang "Here we go Steelers," and members of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club's Inner Circle the top-hat- and tuxedo-wearing businessmen responsible for carrying on the groundhog tradition each year threw black and gold Steelers "Terrible Towels" as they waited to rouse Phil from his burrow."


If the 6 extra weeks of winter are anything like the past week, I don't mind it at all. I don't know if it's because I'm in Baltimore, or what it is, but the weather has been super warm. A few days I didn't even need a coat.

I think the highlight of this story is the impromptu Steeler Pep Rally held after Phil came out. I mean this in a good sense, but Steelers fans are dumb like that. Now sit down children, it's time for another one of Doug's high school stories.

I remember back in 10th grade when the Steelers played the Broncos in the AFC Championship (1997 me thinks), I decided I'd piss everybody off and where my Terrell Davis jersey. Well, my classmates weren't as bad as these kids (and if you didn't hear about that story yet, read it), but we were having a hoops pep rally that Friday before the game, and when they announced my name and I walked out there with my Broncos jersey, half the kids started the "Here We Go" chant. I was for the Steelers, but to this day I enjoy pissing people off. Why, I don't know but I like it. So there's my story. Now enjoy the extra 6 weeks of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment