Wednesday 8 June 2016

John Mayer says no "Pop Sweetness" on new album


John Mayer says his next album won't have the "pop sweetness" of current radio hits.

"It's a really tricky thing making music that can appeal to everybody without certain ingredients that have proven themselves as being very effective in appealing to people," Mayer recently told The Associated Press.

It's good to see someone actually trying to make music that won't be guaranteed to be radio friendly. There's a lot more to music then going platinum, and it's no surprise to me that John Mayer gets that. His latest release "Try" with the John Mayer Trio really has no "Poppy Sweetness" on it and I really like it. It's all blues.

I'm not trying to write my best Coldplay song the way I've tried before, he said. Instead I am writing what I am most prepared for writing, which is a blues or soul approach to a pop song. Hoping that in 20 years it lasts and it doesn't date itself."Blues never gets dated, the guitarist said. "You listen to Huey Lewis and the News and it might be the only thing that stands out from the `80s that's still really enjoyable and not a relic.

Blues never gets dated, the guitarist said. "You listen to Huey Lewis and the News and it might be the only thing that stands out from the `80s that's still really enjoyable and not a relic.

I think it's funny he mentioned Huey Lewis. I've been jamming to their greatest hits for 3 days now. This new style will probably disappoint a lot of the girls out there who enjoy the emo stuff, but I'm glad to see a change. His old music is the shit, but you can definitely tell blues has been where he wanted to go for a long time now. Look for this album when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment